Santa Barbara
57° F
Santa Maria
51° F
San Luis Obispo
54° F
57° F

Heating Related Fire Warning

Published On: Jan 14 2013 06:00:00 AM CST   Updated On: Jan 29 2013 06:05:20 AM CST

Firefighters say the recent cold snap has led to a number of heating related fires. One of the worst happened on Friday when an old floor heater radiated heat and dried out the structure that holds up the floor in a rented home on San Clemente Drive in Ventura. The DaCosta family was not at home. Allie DaCosta's sister told KEY News they were out shopping for a car seat for the newborn they are expecting this winter. The Red Cross is helping them out, but they did not have renter's insurance. Fire crews knocked the fire down quickly, but most of their belongings are damaged. The Red Cross has been putting them up in a hotel. If you'd like to help the displaced DaCosta family you may contact the Red Cross at (805) 987-1514, located at 836 Calle Plano, Camarillo, CA 93012. <a href="" target="_blank">The Red Cross</a> Ventura's Assistant Fire Chief David Endaya says heater fires can be avoided. The Gas Company will usually come out for free to check a heater annually. Firefighters are also sending warnings about electric plug in heaters. They want to remind you never to leave one plugged in if you leave home and never leave flammable items nearby. In addition, all homes must have a carbon monoxide detectors in working order. A new law makes carbon monoxide detectors mandatory. Share your comments about this story with us on the <a href="" target="_blank"> KEY News Facebook page.</a><a href="" target="_blank">Connect with KEY News on Twitter</a>


The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms Of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. 
blog comments powered by Disqus