Using data from the National Center for Education Statistics, Bankrate.com ranked more than 900 public two-year institutions to determine the best and brightest community colleges.
The rankings were based on six criteria: graduation rate, student retention rate, the student-faculty ratio, the school's in-state tuition and fees, the percentage of full-time first-time undergraduates receiving financial aid and the average amount of grant aid they received from federal, state and private sources combined. The data covers full-time freshman students who entered college in fall 2008.
10. Colby Community College (Colby, Kan.)
9. Mayland Community College (Spruce Pine, N.C.)
8. Charlotte Technical Center (Port Charlotte, Fla.)
7. North Central Kansas Technical College (Beloit, Kan.)
6. Linn State Technical College (Linn., Mo.)
5. White Mountains Community College (Berlin, N.H.)
4. Flint Hills Technical College (Emporia, Kan.)
3. Altamaha Technical College (Jesup, Ga.)
2. Erwin Technical Center (Tampa, Fla.)
1. East San Gabriel Valley Regional Occupational Program and Technical Center (West Covina, Calif.)
Westmont College students, staff and even parents are well aware of the campus emergency response plan. It's been used before in the eye of a wildland fire, and not one was hurt while buildings burned.
High-profile quadruple murder defendant Nicolas Holzer appeared before Superior Court Judge Thomas Adams Tuesday morning, just days after the one month anniversary of the family murders that rocked our community.