Prevention magazine evaluated 100 of the nation's largest cities on 48 measures of health, happiness and well-being to determine the healthiest (and happiest) cities in America. Here are the Top 25:
25. Manchester, N.H. (Gym and farmers market numbers, positive mental health)
24. Burlington, Vt. (Lowest diabetes rates, highest percentage of those who walk to work)
23. Boston (Highest percentage of people with health coverage)
22. Virginia Beach, Va. (Healthy cholesterol, big buyers of athletic clothing)
21. Denver (Healthy BMIs, low cancer rates)
20. Portland, Ore. (Healthy hearts, cheerful, easy access to affordable produce)
19. Jersey City, N.J. (Most gyms, highest per capita concentration of fitness professionals)
18. Colorado Springs, Colo. (Active residents, low diabetes rates and blood pressure)
17. Plano, Texas (Tops in purchasing workout gear, organic products)
16. Raleigh, N.C. (Low binge-drinking, lots of sneaker purchases)
15. Lincoln, Neb. (Healthy hearts, low unemployment rate)
14. Austin, Texas (Most active and college-educated)
13. Boise, Idaho (Low traffic death rate, lots of regular exercisers)
12. Aurora, Colo. (Highest overall health, green space access)
11. Seattle (Optimism, high college graduation levels, organic food availability)
10. Honolulu (High mental health scores)
9. Sioux Falls, S.D. (Highest levels of self-reported health)
8. Madison, Wis. (Low crime rates, affordable fresh produce)
7. San Francisco (Endless cultural offerings)
6. Fargo, N.D. (Regular church attendance)
5. San Diego (Most active residents)
4. Anaheim, Calif. (Tops in access to fitness facilities, healthy weights)
3. Minneapolis-St. Paul (Top scores for heart health)
2. Salt Lake City (Low cancer rates, best cancer survival rates)
1. San Jose, Calif. (Tops in eating organic produce)
Click here to read Prevention's rankings in full.
What was said to be a young Great White shark took two bites on an outrigger canoe Sunday three miles off the Santa Barbara coast. The woman on board was sent into the ocean, but was not harmed.
Five students at the Waldorf School have pertussis
A woman is behind bars this morning after police say she rear-ended another vehicle while driving drunk.It happened Saturday afternoon when police say 53-year-old San Luis Obispo resident Lisa Davis was driving along Marsh Street.They say her Ford F-150 rear-ended a Subaru Outback stopped at a red light.The victim suffered a minor injury.Officers say Davis was driving under a suspended license from a prior DUI. She also had an active warrant for her arrest for failure to appear on a prior DUI arrest.
Medical examiners in Las Vegas couldn't determine what killed a 27-year-old California woman whose body was found in September in the Nevada desert.
Lompoc Police Chief Patrick Walsh has been on the job for about a month and now has a third officer who's been criminally charged this year while off-duty.
Santa Barbara police are investigating a stabbing in the Mesa area of Santa Barbara.
High Surf Advisory is in effect for the Central Coast through Thursday.
The Amgen Tour of California, announced the 2015 host cities on Monday including several central coast cities.
Doug Kerr/Wikimedia Commons
Yo, Pittsburgh. You talk funny. At least, according to Gawker's rankings of America's ugliest accents.
The X-37B space plane landed safely Friday morning at Vandenberg Air Force Base after a secret mission in orbit.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.