Prevention magazine evaluated 100 of the nation's largest cities on 48 measures of health, happiness and well-being to determine the healthiest (and happiest) cities in America. Here are the Top 25:
25. Manchester, N.H. (Gym and farmers market numbers, positive mental health)
24. Burlington, Vt. (Lowest diabetes rates, highest percentage of those who walk to work)
23. Boston (Highest percentage of people with health coverage)
22. Virginia Beach, Va. (Healthy cholesterol, big buyers of athletic clothing)
21. Denver (Healthy BMIs, low cancer rates)
20. Portland, Ore. (Healthy hearts, cheerful, easy access to affordable produce)
19. Jersey City, N.J. (Most gyms, highest per capita concentration of fitness professionals)
18. Colorado Springs, Colo. (Active residents, low diabetes rates and blood pressure)
17. Plano, Texas (Tops in purchasing workout gear, organic products)
16. Raleigh, N.C. (Low binge-drinking, lots of sneaker purchases)
14. Austin, Texas (Most active and college-educated)
7. Boise, Idaho
Pros: Dry climate, economy, average cost of living, cheap housing, low crime, good walkability, biking and volunteering.
Cons: Higher cost of living than other cities on list.
12. Aurora, Colo. (Highest overall health, green space access)
11. Seattle (Optimism, high college graduation levels, organic food availability)
10. Honolulu (High mental health scores)
9. Sioux Falls, S.D. (Highest levels of self-reported health)
8. Madison, Wis. (Low crime rates, affordable fresh produce)
7. San Francisco (Endless cultural offerings)
6. Fargo, N.D. (Regular church attendance)
5. San Diego (Most active residents)
4. Anaheim, Calif. (Tops in access to fitness facilities, healthy weights)
3. Minneapolis-St. Paul (Top scores for heart health)
2. Salt Lake City (Low cancer rates, best cancer survival rates)
1. San Jose, Calif. (Tops in eating organic produce)
Click here to read Prevention's rankings in full.
John Palminteri photo
Santa Barbara police are on scene of a reported stabbing in the 1500 block of San Andres Street that left at least one person suffering from significant wounds.
Santa Barbara police located a man reported to be waving a rifle at Skofield Park near the Mission Canyon area in Santa Barbara Tuesday afternoon.
Investigators determined a 57-year of bicyclist badly hurt in a Monday afternoon accident wasn't wearing a helmet and blew through a stop sign.
Local man caught a big lobster off Santa Barbara coast, exactly one year after catching another giant crustacean.
A new wine tasting room has opened its doors in Santa Barbara and this wine tasting room is extra special because it is opening in Santa Barbara's very first wine cellar.
Non-profit group to take ownership of local landmark.
Public works, the fire department and other agencies presented their readiness plan to city leaders on Tuesday.
A man suffered a broken ankle after he had to jump from a burning apartment building in Oceano on Tuesday morning.
Stuart C. Wilson/Getty Images
When it comes to Googling your favorite celebrities for the latest Hollywood dirt, you may want to think twice about clicking unfamiliar links about any of the following stars.
Here are the 25 best U.S. cities in which to retire, according to data compiled by Forbes.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.