Prevention magazine evaluated 100 of the nation's largest cities on 48 measures of health, happiness and well-being to determine the healthiest (and happiest) cities in America. Here are the Top 25:
25. Manchester, N.H. (Gym and farmers market numbers, positive mental health)
24. Burlington, Vt. (Lowest diabetes rates, highest percentage of those who walk to work)
23. Boston (Highest percentage of people with health coverage)
22. Virginia Beach, Va. (Healthy cholesterol, big buyers of athletic clothing)
21. Denver (Healthy BMIs, low cancer rates)
20. Portland, Ore. (Healthy hearts, cheerful, easy access to affordable produce)
19. Jersey City, N.J. (Most gyms, highest per capita concentration of fitness professionals)
18. Colorado Springs, Colo. (Active residents, low diabetes rates and blood pressure)
17. Plano, Texas (Tops in purchasing workout gear, organic products)
16. Raleigh, N.C. (Low binge-drinking, lots of sneaker purchases)
14. Austin, Texas (Most active and college-educated)
7. Boise, Idaho
Pros: Dry climate, economy, average cost of living, cheap housing, low crime, good walkability, biking and volunteering.
Cons: Higher cost of living than other cities on list.
12. Aurora, Colo. (Highest overall health, green space access)
11. Seattle (Optimism, high college graduation levels, organic food availability)
10. Honolulu (High mental health scores)
9. Sioux Falls, S.D. (Highest levels of self-reported health)
8. Madison, Wis. (Low crime rates, affordable fresh produce)
7. San Francisco (Endless cultural offerings)
6. Fargo, N.D. (Regular church attendance)
5. San Diego (Most active residents)
4. Anaheim, Calif. (Tops in access to fitness facilities, healthy weights)
3. Minneapolis-St. Paul (Top scores for heart health)
2. Salt Lake City (Low cancer rates, best cancer survival rates)
1. San Jose, Calif. (Tops in eating organic produce)
Click here to read Prevention's rankings in full.
Source: Santa Barbara Police Department
20 individuals have been arrested in connection with a five-month long investigation that involved the Santa Barbara Police Department, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, into the sales of illegal narcotics and firearms.
A 55-year-old woman is recovering at the hospital after suffering major injuries in a vehicle rollover at Highway 154 and Foxen Canyon Road near Los Olivos.
Who has a better system for identifying and processing mobile phone calls? The 9-1-1 emergency system or Domino's Pizza? If you said Domino's you're right.
Cat Cora hosted her second annual Santa Barbara Beach Ball fundraiser on Saturday.
A man who died and a woman who was injured while hiking off Cold Springs trail were both 22 and from Ventura.
At least one person has been reportedly killed in a head-on car crash just east of Santa Margarita in San Luis Obispo County.
Dozens of members from the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of San Luis Obispo gathered together on Sunday for the dedication of their "black lives matter" banner.
John Palminteri photo
Santa Barbara police converged in the 300 block of W. Micheltorena Street just after 8:30 p.m. Friday for a reported stabbing.
DC Fire and EMS
A train derailed in Washington, D.C., near a metro station Sunday.
Santa Barbara police converged in the 300 block of W. Micheltorena Street just before 8:30 p.m. Friday for a reported stabbing.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.