Prevention magazine evaluated 100 of the nation's largest cities on 48 measures of health, happiness and well-being to determine the healthiest (and happiest) cities in America. Here are the Top 25:
25. Manchester, N.H. (Gym and farmers market numbers, positive mental health)
24. Burlington, Vt. (Lowest diabetes rates, highest percentage of those who walk to work)
23. Boston (Highest percentage of people with health coverage)
22. Virginia Beach, Va. (Healthy cholesterol, big buyers of athletic clothing)
21. Denver (Healthy BMIs, low cancer rates)
20. Portland, Ore. (Healthy hearts, cheerful, easy access to affordable produce)
19. Jersey City, N.J. (Most gyms, highest per capita concentration of fitness professionals)
18. Colorado Springs, Colo. (Active residents, low diabetes rates and blood pressure)
17. Plano, Texas (Tops in purchasing workout gear, organic products)
16. Raleigh, N.C. (Low binge-drinking, lots of sneaker purchases)
15. Lincoln, Neb. (Healthy hearts, low unemployment rate)
14. Austin, Texas (Most active and college-educated)
13. Boise, Idaho (Low traffic death rate, lots of regular exercisers)
12. Aurora, Colo. (Highest overall health, green space access)
11. Seattle (Optimism, high college graduation levels, organic food availability)
10. Honolulu (High mental health scores)
9. Sioux Falls, S.D. (Highest levels of self-reported health)
8. Madison, Wis. (Low crime rates, affordable fresh produce)
7. San Francisco (Endless cultural offerings)
6. Fargo, N.D. (Regular church attendance)
5. San Diego (Most active residents)
4. Anaheim, Calif. (Tops in access to fitness facilities, healthy weights)
3. Minneapolis-St. Paul (Top scores for heart health)
2. Salt Lake City (Low cancer rates, best cancer survival rates)
1. San Jose, Calif. (Tops in eating organic produce)
Click here to read Prevention's rankings in full.
John Palminteri photo
A brownish creature, with sharp teeth and claws, is deceased on the beach in Santa Barbara after the latest storm, and many people are wondering what it is.
Lindsay Cullom paid months in advance for laser skin removal before her May wedding day and Tahiti honeymoon, but when she called for an appointment she just got a busy signal.
Curator of Vertebrate Zoology Paul Collins at the Santa Barbara Natural History museum solves the mystery of the creature on East Beach.
Paso Robles Police are investigating a burglary that happened early Friday morning at Sky Nails and Spa in the 2300 block of Theatre Drive.
Officer Rafael Ramos sat in the driver's seat. Officer Wenjian Liu was at his side. The two New York City cops weren't at their usual precinct -- normally, the pair was assigned to downtown Brooklyn.
Four interns are manning the kettles in the hopes of getting a letter of recommendation for their resumes.
Sobriety checkpoints are planned in cities across the Central Coast all the way through the New Year's Day holiday.
Santa Maria High School senior Carlos Balderas is just a few fights away from earning a place on the 2016 United States Olympic boxing team.
National Archives and Records Administration
The Pilgrims land on Plymouth Rock, the first crossword puzzle is published, "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" premieres, Gen. Patton dies, and Elvis visits Nixon at the White House, all on this day.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.