Buoyed by the stock market, the average net worth of the richest people in America has hit a record $5.7 billion, up $700 million from last year, according to Forbes.
Take a look at the 10 richest people in America.
12. S. Robson Walton -- The son of Wal-Mart Stores Inc. founder Sam Walton and chairman of Walmart's net worth is $39.1 billion.
11. Alice Walton (pictured with brothers Rob and Jim) -- The daughter of Walmart founder Sam Walton and chairwoman of the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art is worth an estimated $34.9 billion.
8. Michael Bloomberg, former New York City mayor, founder and owner of Bloomberg LP, philanthropist. Net worth: $35 billion.
7. Jim Walton, chairman and chief executive officer of Arvest Bank Group Inc. Net worth: $36 billion.
6. Christy Walton & family, Walmart heiress and co-chair of the Children's Scholarship Fund. Net worth: $38 billion.
4. David Koch (tie), along with brother Charles, David is co-owner and executive vice president of Koch Industries. Net worth: $42 billion.
4. Charles Koch (tie), along with brother David, Charles is co-owner and executive vice president of Koch Industries. Net worth: $42 billion.
3. Larry Ellison, CEO of Oracle. Net worth: $50 billion.
2. Warren Buffett, CEO of Berkshire Hathaway. Net worth: $67 billion.
1. Bill Gates, co-founder of Microsoft Corp., is also co-chairman of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Net worth: $81 billion.
To read more about the wealthiest Americans, go to Forbes.com.
Nick Culotta photo
The man was tandem paragliding with his teenage daughter when he fell.
The cost of living in paradise is rising at an alarming rate as renters battle it out over the city's limited supply.
Source: Santa Barbara Police Department
An arrest has been made in Friday's homicide in Santa Barbara's Eastside.
Santa Barbara police arrested 32-year-old Enson Junior Lopez for the murder of 40-year-old Ian Justin O'Brien Nichols.
Three teenage boys were playing with fire when it got out of control and engulfed one them in flames.
Dr. Ron Faoro, 60, died after slipping out of his harness while tandem paragliding with his teenage daughter.
Storms across Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo Counties produce small hail, heavy downpours and lightning Monday morning.
A couple of drivers in downtown Santa Barbara were lucky to walk away with just minor injuries after a rollover car accident this morning.
Source: California Highway Patrol
Caltrans announced a lane closure of northbound U.S. 101 just north of the Gaviota Tunnel Monday afternoon.
Emergency crews responded to a downed paraglider who plunged several thousand feet into a rugged canyon near rattlesnake trail.
Salem is gripped by witch hysteria, Yellowstone becomes the world's first national park, the Lindbergh baby is kidnapped, and the Watergate Seven are indicted, all on this day.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.