Buoyed by the stock market, the average net worth of the richest people in America has hit a record $5.7 billion, up $700 million from last year, according to Forbes.
Take a look at the 10 richest people in America.
10. S. Robson Walton -- The son of Walmart Stores Inc founder Sam Walton and chairman of Walmart's net worth is $34.8 billion.
9. Alice Walton (pictured with brothers Rob and Jim) -- The daughter of Walmart founder Sam Walton and chairwoman of the Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art is worth an estimated $34.9 billion.
8. Michael Bloomberg, former New York City mayor, founder and owner of Bloomberg LP, philanthropist. Net worth: $35 billion.
7. Jim Walton, chairman and chief executive officer of Arvest Bank Group Inc. Net worth: $36 billion.
6. Christy Walton & family, Walmart heiress and co-chair of the Children's Scholarship Fund. Net worth: $38 billion.
4. David Koch (tie), along with brother Charles, David is co-owner and executive vice president of Koch Industries. Net worth: $42 billion.
4. Charles Koch (tie), along with brother David, Charles is co-owner and executive vice president of Koch Industries. Net worth: $42 billion.
3. Larry Ellison, CEO of Oracle. Net worth: $50 billion.
2. Warren Buffett, CEO of Berkshire Hathaway. Net worth: $67 billion.
1. Bill Gates, co-founder of Microsoft Corp., is also co-chairman of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Net worth: $81 billion.
To read more about the wealthiest Americans, go to Forbes.com.
What was said to be a young Great White shark took two bites on an outrigger canoe Sunday three miles off the Santa Barbara coast. The woman on board was sent into the ocean, but was not harmed.
Lompoc Police Chief Patrick Walsh has been on the job for about a month and now has a third officer who's been criminally charged this year while off-duty.
A woman is behind bars this morning after police say she rear-ended another vehicle while driving drunk.It happened Saturday afternoon when police say 53-year-old San Luis Obispo resident Lisa Davis was driving along Marsh Street.They say her Ford F-150 rear-ended a Subaru Outback stopped at a red light.The victim suffered a minor injury.Officers say Davis was driving under a suspended license from a prior DUI. She also had an active warrant for her arrest for failure to appear on a prior DUI arrest.
Medical examiners in Las Vegas couldn't determine what killed a 27-year-old California woman whose body was found in September in the Nevada desert.
Five students at the Waldorf School have pertussis
Santa Barbara police are investigating a stabbing in the Mesa area of Santa Barbara.
High Surf Advisory is in effect for the Central Coast through Thursday.
On the November ballot Measure P is an ordinance prohibiting certain petroleum operations.
National Archives and Records Administration
Douglas MacArthur returns to the Philippines, Nixon sets off the "Saturday Night Massacre," Jackie Kennedy remarries, the Sydney Opera House opens, tragedy strikes Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Muammar Gaddafi is killed, all on this day.
Doug Kerr/Wikimedia Commons
Yo, Pittsburgh. You talk funny. At least, according to Gawker's rankings of America's ugliest accents.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.