Published On: Nov 28 2012 10:21:40 AM CSTUpdated On: Jan 12 2016 10:25:55 AM CST
With Wednesday's Powerball drawing now set at $1.5 billion, the largest lottery jackpot in U.S. history, take a look at the current top 10 jackpots of all time.
10. $390 million (Mega Millions) -- Won in March 2007 by two tickets sold in Georgia and New Jersey.
9. $399.4 million (Powerball) -- Won in September 2013 by one ticket purchased in South Carolina.
8. $414 million (Mega Millions) -- Won in March 2014 by two tickets purchased in Florida and Maryland.
7. $425.3 million (Powerball) -- Won in February 2014 by one ticket purchased in Northern California.
6. $448.4 million (Powerball) -- Won in August 2013 by three tickets -- two in New Jersey and one in Minnesota.
5. $564 million -- (Powerball) The Feb. 11, 2015, Powerball jackpot jumped from $500 million the afternoon of the drawing to an estimated $564 million by the time the numbers were chosen. The numbers drawn were 25, 11, 54, 13, 39 - Powerball: 19. The winning jackpot tickets were sold in North Carolina, Texas and Puerto Rico, said Alex Traverso, California Lottery spokesman.
4. $587.5 million (Powerball) -- Won in November 2012 by two tickets purchased in Arizona and Missouri.
3. $590.5 million (Powerball) -- Won in May 2013 by Gloria C. MacKenzie, 84, of Zephyrhills, Fla. She is noted as the largest sole lottery winner in U.S. history.
2. $648 million (Mega Millions) -- Won in December 2013 by two tickets sold in Georgia and California.
1. $656 million (Mega Millions) -- Won in March 2012 by three tickets purchased in Kansas, Illinois and Maryland. This is noted as the largest cash payout in American lottery history.
The Boy Scouts of America is founded, the gas chamber is first used in the United States, the first NFL Draft is held, "Good Times" premieres, and women's ice hockey debuts as an Olympic sport, all on this day.