Published On: Nov 28 2012 10:21:40 AM CSTUpdated On: Jul 07 2016 03:35:33 PM CDT
Friday's Mega Millions jackpot, currently at $540 million, would be the third largest in the history of the game. But where does it rank overall in the top 10 all-time U.S. lottery jackpots? Click on to find out.
10. $425.3 million (Powerball) -- Won in February 2014 by one ticket purchased in Northern California.
9. $429.6 million (Powerball) -- Won in May 2016 by one ticket sold at a 7-Eleven in Trenton, New Jersey.
8. $448.4 million (Powerball) -- Won in August 2013 by three tickets -- two in New Jersey and one in Minnesota.
7. $540 million (Mega Millions) -- The drawing will take place July 8, 2016, after 34 drawings without a jackpot winner since a $157 million jackpot was awarded in the March 8 drawing.
6. $564 million -- (Powerball) The Feb. 11, 2015, Powerball jackpot jumped from $500 million the afternoon of the drawing to an estimated $564 million by the time the numbers were chosen. The numbers drawn were 25, 11, 54, 13, 39 - Powerball: 19. The winning jackpot tickets were sold in North Carolina, Texas and Puerto Rico, said Alex Traverso, California Lottery spokesman.
5. $587.5 million (Powerball) -- Won in November 2012 by two tickets purchased in Arizona and Missouri.
4. $590.5 million (Powerball) -- Won in May 2013 by Gloria C. MacKenzie, 84, of Zephyrhills, Fla. She is noted as the largest sole lottery winner in U.S. history.
3. $648 million (Mega Millions) -- Won in December 2013 by two tickets sold in Georgia and California.
2. $656 million (Mega Millions) -- Won in March 2012 by three tickets purchased in Kansas, Illinois and Maryland.
1. $1.586 billion (Powerball) -- Won in January 2016 by three tickets purchased in California, Florida and Tennessee. This is noted as the largest cash payout in American lottery history.