Homebuyers may have enjoyed record low mortgage rates over the past year, but they've been paying a pretty penny when it comes time to close the deal.
Nationwide, closing costs averaged $2,402 over the past year, up 6 percent from $2,264 in 2012, according to a new survey by Bankrate.com. The estimates are based on a $200,000 mortgage for buyers with good credit and a 20 percent down payment.
Here's a look at the states with the lowest and highest closing costs:
(Lowest) 5. Washington ($2,208 average closing costs)
4. Michigan ($2,203 average closing costs)
3. Kansas ($2,193 average closing costs)
2. Missouri ($2,188 average closing costs)
1. Wisconsin ($2,119 average closing costs)
(Highest) 5. New Mexico ($2,566 average closing costs)
4. California ($2,639 average closing costs)
3. South Carolina ($2,658 average closing costs)
2. Alaska ($2,675 average closing costs)
1. Hawaii ($2,919 average closing costs)
Click here for a closer look at Bankrate's survey of the states with the highest and lowest closing costs.
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month and our Meredith Garofalo sat down with one woman currently battling stage 4 breast cancer who shares her story of hope and inspiration through an unlikely companion.
The San Francisco Giants defeated the Kansas City Royals 3-2 last night to win the 2014 World Series, but the night's celebration quickly turned violent. Take a look at images of the chaotic scene in San Francisco.