Published On: Apr 11 2012 08:11:28 AM CDTUpdated On: Oct 31 2014 09:34:33 PM CDT
Here is a list of earthquakes that were even larger than the 7.8-magnitude earthquake that devastated Nepal on Saturday.
10. Assam, Tibet -- This 8.6-magnitude quake struck on Independence Day in Tibet on Aug. 15, 1950.
9. Northern Sumatra, Indonesia -- About 1,300 people were killed in this 8.6-magnitude earthquake on March 28, 2005.
8. Rat Islands, Alaska -- The 8.7-magnitude earthquake hit on Feb. 4, 1965, triggering a small tsunami.
7. Ecuador Coast -- This 8.8-magnitude earthquake on Jan. 31, 1906, triggered a massive tsunami that killed more than 500 people.
6. Offshore Chile -- Nearly 500 people died in the 8.8-magnitude earthquake that hit off the coast of Chile on Feb. 27, 2010. In this photo, a 15-story apartment building is seen laying on its side after it collapsed in Concepcion.
4. Offshore Japan -- A 9.0-magnitude earthquake triggered a tsunami that struck off the coast of northern Japan on March 11, 2011. The widespread damage left more than 15,000 people dead and several thousand more missing. In this handout image provided by U.S. Navy, an aerial view of the tsunami and earthquake damage in Sendai, Japan is seen from an SH-60B helicopter on March 12, 2011.
4. Kamchatka -- This 9.0-magnitude earthquake on Nov. 4, 1952, triggered a monstrous tsunami that caused massive damage there and in Hawaii.
3. Indian Ocean -- More than 230,000 people in 14 countries perished in this 9.1-magnitude quake and tsunami on Dec. 26, 2004. In this photo, an ocean front hotel is seen collapsed into the sea close to the pier on Kho Phi Phi, Thailand.
2. Prince William Sound, Alaska -- Measuring 9.2-magnitude, the most powerful recorded earthquake in U.S. history struck on March 28, 1964, on Good Friday. The five-story J.C. Penney Building in Anchorage, Alaska was partly collapsed, although nearby buildings were not damaged.
1. Chile -- Officially the largest earthquake on record since 1900, this 9.5-magnitude temblor killed thousands of people and triggered a massive tsunami that devastated Hilo, Hawaii.
20 individuals have been arrested in connection with a five-month long investigation that involved the Santa Barbara Police Department, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, into the sales of illegal narcotics and firearms.
For little to no cost financial cost to the fighters, the Central Coast Boxing club is training young people to channel their aggression into something positive. Their program has gotten so popular, they're looking to expand, and you have a chance to support them by cheering them on at a huge event May 14.
Celebrity stylist Jeanne Yang has dressed Hollywood stars from George Clooney to Robert Downey Jr, to Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes. Here's her five must-haves for everybody's closet, male or female.