To evaluate how well a city is managed over the long-term, 24/7 Wall St. looked at factors like the city’s credit rating, poverty, education, crime, unemployment and regional GDP.
6. Seattle, Wash.Population: 620,778Credit rating: Aaa, stable outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 5.93 (45th lowest)Unemployment rate: 7.5% (tied- 23rd lowest)
5. Fremont, Calif. Population: 216,912Credit rating: Not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 1.77 (6th lowest)Unemployment rate: 7.5% (tied- 23rd lowest)
3. Irvine, Calif.Population: 215,511Credit rating: Not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 0.56 (the lowest)Unemployment rate: 6.5% (tied- 11th lowest)
2. Madison, Wis.Population: 236,889Credit rating: Aaa, stableViolent crime per 1,000 people: 3.48 (15th lowest)Unemployment rate: 4.9% (2nd lowest)
1. Plano, TexasPopulation: 271,380Credit rating: Aaa, no outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 1.62 (2nd lowest)Unemployment rate: 6.9% (13th lowest)
Worst run cities:
6. Modesto, Calif.Population: 202,761Credit rating: not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 6.94 (39th highest)Unemployment rate: 14.6% (7th highest)
5. Hialeah, Fla.
Population: 229,967Credit rating: not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 3.78 (18th lowest)Unemployment rate: 14.1% (tied- 9th highest)
4. Detroit, Mich.Population: 706,640Credit rating: Caa1, negative outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 21.37 (the highest)Unemployment rate: 19.9% (2nd highest)
10. Stockton, Calif.Unemployment: 14.1%12-month unemployment change: -1.7 percentage pointsPct. below poverty line: 18.1%
2. Miami, Fla.Population: 408,760Credit rating: A2, negative outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 11.98 (12th highest)Unemployment rate: 12.4% (17th highest)
1. San Bernardino, Calif.Population: 213,008Credit rating: not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 8.76 (27th highest)Unemployment rate: 17.6% (3rd highest)
The city filed for bankruptcy in 2012.
To see all the cities on the list, go to 247wallst.com.
Nia Wong photo
The Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office is investigating a homicide at a residence in the 2200 block of Alamo Pintado Avenue in Los Olivos Thursday morning.
John Palminteri photo
A Santa Barbara man believed to be involved in an auto burglary was caught by Santa Barbara Police who had him at gunpoint before getting handcuffs on his wrists.
City of Santa Barbara photo
Santa Barbara Police Chief Cam Sanchez was involved in a serious car accident last Friday morning.
Santa Barbara County Fire responded to a fully involved barn fire in Los Olivos Thursday morning.
A motorist is recovering at the hospital from injuries suffered when his vehicle collided with a Chumash Casino bus. The bus was was not carrying any passengers at the time, according to officials.
Year of misfortune leaves family of six confronted with homelessness.
Source: Paso Robles Police Department
Paso Robles police arrested 26-year-old Jose Ayala Martinez, of San Miguel, early Thursday and booked him into San Luis Obispo County Jail on domestic violence related charges.
Local man caught a big lobster off Santa Barbara coast, exactly one year after catching another giant crustacean.
Three schools in Los Olivos have been placed on lock down Thursday morning as Sheriff's deputies swarm a home in the 2200 block of Alamo Pintado.
A new study by the proofreading app Grammarly reveals varying grammar skills on Facebook among the supporters of the 19 presidential candidates. But whose supporters came out on top and who ranked at the bottom?
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.