To evaluate how well a city is managed over the long-term, 24/7 Wall St. looked at factors like the city’s credit rating, poverty, education, crime, unemployment and regional GDP.
6. Seattle, Wash.Population: 620,778Credit rating: Aaa, stable outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 5.93 (45th lowest)Unemployment rate: 7.5% (tied- 23rd lowest)
5. Fremont, Calif. Population: 216,912Credit rating: Not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 1.77 (6th lowest)Unemployment rate: 7.5% (tied- 23rd lowest)
4. Lincoln, Neb.Population: 262,350Credit rating: Aaa, stable outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 3.71 (18th lowest)Unemployment rate: 3.9% (the lowest)
3. Irvine, Calif.Population: 215,511Credit rating: Not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 0.56 (the lowest)Unemployment rate: 6.5% (tied- 11th lowest)
2. Madison, Wis.Population: 236,889Credit rating: Aaa, stableViolent crime per 1,000 people: 3.48 (15th lowest)Unemployment rate: 4.9% (2nd lowest)
1. Plano, TexasPopulation: 271,380Credit rating: Aaa, no outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 1.62 (2nd lowest)Unemployment rate: 6.9% (13th lowest)
Worst run cities:
6. Modesto, Calif.Population: 202,761Credit rating: not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 6.94 (39th highest)Unemployment rate: 14.6% (7th highest)
5. Hialeah, Fla.
Population: 229,967Credit rating: not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 3.78 (18th lowest)Unemployment rate: 14.1% (tied- 9th highest)
4. Detroit, Mich.Population: 706,640Credit rating: Caa1, negative outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 21.37 (the highest)Unemployment rate: 19.9% (2nd highest)
10. Stockton, Calif.Unemployment: 14.1%12-month unemployment change: -1.7 percentage pointsPct. below poverty line: 18.1%
2. Miami, Fla.Population: 408,760Credit rating: A2, negative outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 11.98 (12th highest)Unemployment rate: 12.4% (17th highest)
1. San Bernardino, Calif.Population: 213,008Credit rating: not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 8.76 (27th highest)Unemployment rate: 17.6% (3rd highest)
The city filed for bankruptcy in 2012.
To see all the cities on the list, go to 247wallst.com.
The body of a Los Osos woman was discovered in the Nevada Desert, and the Sheriff's Department in Nye County, Nevada is now trying to put the pieces together surrounding the death.
A Buellton couple has been catering out of the Santa Ynez valley for over a decade and they've become popular for serving some interesting dishes at their restaurant they opened last year.
Beatriz Milan-Absalon, 20, died from injuries she sustained Saturday morning from a hit-and-run incident on Blosser Road.
Santa Maria police are looking for two suspects who robbed two different convenience stores.
Several Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Deputies and a helicopter were called to the Kmart parking lot and surrounding businesses when two suspected shoplifters took off towards Hollister Ave. this afternoon.
Single use plastic bags will become illegal next July after Gov. Jerry Brown signed a law enacting a new statewide ban.
Two gun bills linked to the Isla Vista massacre in May will take effect in 2016.
Big sprawling green lawns in the middle of an exceptional drought, along with the increase in water tankers in Montecito and Carpinteria have led to complaints lately.
Denver District Attorney's Office
Check out these lookers who ran into the law.
Thomas Edison opens the world's first electric lamp factory, Yosemite becomes a national park, soccer great Pele says goodbye, and Walt Disney World opens, all on this day.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.