To evaluate how well a city is managed over the long-term, 24/7 Wall St. looked at factors like the city’s credit rating, poverty, education, crime, unemployment and regional GDP.
6. Seattle, Wash.Population: 620,778Credit rating: Aaa, stable outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 5.93 (45th lowest)Unemployment rate: 7.5% (tied- 23rd lowest)
5. Fremont, Calif. Population: 216,912Credit rating: Not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 1.77 (6th lowest)Unemployment rate: 7.5% (tied- 23rd lowest)
4. Lincoln, Neb.Population: 262,350Credit rating: Aaa, stable outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 3.71 (18th lowest)Unemployment rate: 3.9% (the lowest)
3. Irvine, Calif.Population: 215,511Credit rating: Not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 0.56 (the lowest)Unemployment rate: 6.5% (tied- 11th lowest)
2. Madison, Wis.Population: 236,889Credit rating: Aaa, stableViolent crime per 1,000 people: 3.48 (15th lowest)Unemployment rate: 4.9% (2nd lowest)
1. Plano, TexasPopulation: 271,380Credit rating: Aaa, no outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 1.62 (2nd lowest)Unemployment rate: 6.9% (13th lowest)
Worst run cities:
6. Modesto, Calif.Population: 202,761Credit rating: not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 6.94 (39th highest)Unemployment rate: 14.6% (7th highest)
5. Hialeah, Fla.
Population: 229,967Credit rating: not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 3.78 (18th lowest)Unemployment rate: 14.1% (tied- 9th highest)
4. Detroit, Mich.Population: 706,640Credit rating: Caa1, negative outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 21.37 (the highest)Unemployment rate: 19.9% (2nd highest)
10. Stockton, Calif.Unemployment: 14.1%12-month unemployment change: -1.7 percentage pointsPct. below poverty line: 18.1%
2. Miami, Fla.Population: 408,760Credit rating: A2, negative outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 11.98 (12th highest)Unemployment rate: 12.4% (17th highest)
1. San Bernardino, Calif.Population: 213,008Credit rating: not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 8.76 (27th highest)Unemployment rate: 17.6% (3rd highest)
The city filed for bankruptcy in 2012.
To see all the cities on the list, go to 247wallst.com.
It's a challenge that has gone viral. It's known as "The Cold Water Challenge," but could this latest trend be harmful to your health?
Daniel Perez died in a wrong-way freeway crash hours after attending his first day of school during what would have been his Junior Year at San Marcos High School.
A small Mercedes Benz sedan ended up at the front doors of the Lazy Acres Market in Santa Barbara today, when a driver lost control.
Did you miss the clip of your favorite player or just want to watch the highlights again? We've got you covered! Immediately following the broadcast, we will be posting the entire show on www.keyt.com/fff.
UPDATE: A student at San Marcos High School was killed in a Wednesday night head-on accident that snarled northbound Highway 101 traffic much of Thursday morning.
Lawmakers narrowly approved a plastic bag ban on Friday. The Senate approved the measure 22-15 on Friday.
Classmates took part in a memorial at La Colina Junior High after school Friday.
The murder of a child in Santa Barbara 35 years ago sent shock waves throughout the community. Now the family's tragedy is getting national attention.
The snark sparked by President Barack Obama's tan suit has exploded across social media. But it's far from the first White House fashion statement to raise eyebrows.
Add Kendall Jenner to the long list of celebrities who go by one name. The Kardashian clan member says she's ditching her last name to boost her modeling career.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.