To evaluate how well a city is managed over the long-term, 24/7 Wall St. looked at factors like the city’s credit rating, poverty, education, crime, unemployment and regional GDP.
6. Seattle, Wash.Population: 620,778Credit rating: Aaa, stable outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 5.93 (45th lowest)Unemployment rate: 7.5% (tied- 23rd lowest)
5. Fremont, Calif. Population: 216,912Credit rating: Not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 1.77 (6th lowest)Unemployment rate: 7.5% (tied- 23rd lowest)
4. Lincoln, Neb.Population: 262,350Credit rating: Aaa, stable outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 3.71 (18th lowest)Unemployment rate: 3.9% (the lowest)
3. Irvine, Calif.Population: 215,511Credit rating: Not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 0.56 (the lowest)Unemployment rate: 6.5% (tied- 11th lowest)
2. Madison, Wis.Population: 236,889Credit rating: Aaa, stableViolent crime per 1,000 people: 3.48 (15th lowest)Unemployment rate: 4.9% (2nd lowest)
1. Plano, TexasPopulation: 271,380Credit rating: Aaa, no outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 1.62 (2nd lowest)Unemployment rate: 6.9% (13th lowest)
Worst run cities:
6. Modesto, Calif.Population: 202,761Credit rating: not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 6.94 (39th highest)Unemployment rate: 14.6% (7th highest)
5. Hialeah, Fla.
Population: 229,967Credit rating: not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 3.78 (18th lowest)Unemployment rate: 14.1% (tied- 9th highest)
4. Detroit, Mich.Population: 706,640Credit rating: Caa1, negative outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 21.37 (the highest)Unemployment rate: 19.9% (2nd highest)
10. Stockton, Calif.Unemployment: 14.1%12-month unemployment change: -1.7 percentage pointsPct. below poverty line: 18.1%
2. Miami, Fla.Population: 408,760Credit rating: A2, negative outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 11.98 (12th highest)Unemployment rate: 12.4% (17th highest)
1. San Bernardino, Calif.Population: 213,008Credit rating: not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 8.76 (27th highest)Unemployment rate: 17.6% (3rd highest)
The city filed for bankruptcy in 2012.
To see all the cities on the list, go to 247wallst.com.
Shia LeBeouf appeared in Manhattan criminal court Thursday morning over charges stemming from a June incident at a Broadway performance of "Cabaret."
An associate professor of Feminist Studies at UC Santa Barbara pleaded "no contest" to three misdemeanor charges against her.
Ten days after a boater went missing , his remains were found in Cachuma Lake.
Lot of fun events are going on in your neighborhoods this weekend. First Alert Meteorologist Meredith Garofalo shares her favorite picks up and down the coast.
A former flower vendor at UC Santa Barbara has a "pop up" site in downtown Santa Barbara just in time for Fiesta.
Music Academy of the West and Old Spanish Days are celebrating Marilyn Horne as "Honorary La Diva of Old Spanish Days."
A lab crucial to diagnosing cases of drug-resistant tuberculosis at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has reopened, according to the CDC.
Drought dry Santa Barbara saw quite a gusher of water go down the drain this morning when a fire hydrant was sheared off.
Here are just a few of the photos that viewers have sent in for our Fiesta Photo Contest! Do you have photos you would like to share and enter? Post them on our KEYT or Central Coast News Facebook pages. Here is a link for more details on the Fiesta Photo Contest, sponsored by Samy's Camera - Santa Barbara - http://www.keyt.com/news/2014-fiesta-photo-contest/27119292
It seems that residents of Louisiana are some of the happiest people in the country, and New Yorkers remain some of the unhappiest, according to a new report. Take a look at the happiest - and unhappiest - U.S. cities.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.