To evaluate how well a city is managed over the long-term, 24/7 Wall St. looked at factors like the city’s credit rating, poverty, education, crime, unemployment and regional GDP.
6. Seattle, Wash.Population: 620,778Credit rating: Aaa, stable outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 5.93 (45th lowest)Unemployment rate: 7.5% (tied- 23rd lowest)
5. Fremont, Calif. Population: 216,912Credit rating: Not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 1.77 (6th lowest)Unemployment rate: 7.5% (tied- 23rd lowest)
4. Lincoln, Neb.Population: 262,350Credit rating: Aaa, stable outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 3.71 (18th lowest)Unemployment rate: 3.9% (the lowest)
3. Irvine, Calif.Population: 215,511Credit rating: Not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 0.56 (the lowest)Unemployment rate: 6.5% (tied- 11th lowest)
2. Madison, Wis.Population: 236,889Credit rating: Aaa, stableViolent crime per 1,000 people: 3.48 (15th lowest)Unemployment rate: 4.9% (2nd lowest)
1. Plano, TexasPopulation: 271,380Credit rating: Aaa, no outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 1.62 (2nd lowest)Unemployment rate: 6.9% (13th lowest)
Worst run cities:
6. Modesto, Calif.Population: 202,761Credit rating: not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 6.94 (39th highest)Unemployment rate: 14.6% (7th highest)
5. Hialeah, Fla.
Population: 229,967Credit rating: not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 3.78 (18th lowest)Unemployment rate: 14.1% (tied- 9th highest)
4. Detroit, Mich.Population: 706,640Credit rating: Caa1, negative outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 21.37 (the highest)Unemployment rate: 19.9% (2nd highest)
10. Stockton, Calif.Unemployment: 14.1%12-month unemployment change: -1.7 percentage pointsPct. below poverty line: 18.1%
2. Miami, Fla.Population: 408,760Credit rating: A2, negative outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 11.98 (12th highest)Unemployment rate: 12.4% (17th highest)
1. San Bernardino, Calif.Population: 213,008Credit rating: not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 8.76 (27th highest)Unemployment rate: 17.6% (3rd highest)
The city filed for bankruptcy in 2012.
To see all the cities on the list, go to 247wallst.com.
The Santa Maria Police Department blocked two roads near the Courthouse as a safety precaution Monday morning.
It's a challenge that has gone viral. It's known as "The Cold Water Challenge," but could this latest trend be harmful to your health?
A photographer and former extreme water sports junkie, once strangers have now become friends and teammates. Both share the love for the Central Coast, and they are using that passion to help raise money for a good cause.
Daniel Perez died in a wrong-way freeway crash hours after attending his first day of school during what would have been his Junior Year at San Marcos High School.
A new aviation program is taking off at Santa Barbara Business College. It is a two-year, Associate of Science Aviation program. The inaugural class takes off in October.
A small Mercedes Benz sedan ended up at the front doors of the Lazy Acres Market in Santa Barbara today, when a driver lost control.
Heading into Labor Day weekend, Martin Irabien remembers being at the Broadway department store as an assistant manager until it shut down.
Classmates took part in a memorial at La Colina Junior High after school Friday.
Courtesy of NOAA/Institute for Exploration/University of Rhode Island
The last passenger pigeon dies, World War II begins, the Soviet Union shoots down a Korean airliner, and the wreck of the Titanic is discovered, all on this day.
Jennifer Lawrence and Mary Elizabeth Winstead are only the latest celebrities facing nude photo scandals. Check out the others.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.