To evaluate how well a city is managed over the long-term, 24/7 Wall St. looked at factors like the city’s credit rating, poverty, education, crime, unemployment and regional GDP.
6. Seattle, Wash.Population: 620,778Credit rating: Aaa, stable outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 5.93 (45th lowest)Unemployment rate: 7.5% (tied- 23rd lowest)
5. Fremont, Calif. Population: 216,912Credit rating: Not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 1.77 (6th lowest)Unemployment rate: 7.5% (tied- 23rd lowest)
4. Lincoln, Neb.Population: 262,350Credit rating: Aaa, stable outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 3.71 (18th lowest)Unemployment rate: 3.9% (the lowest)
3. Irvine, Calif.Population: 215,511Credit rating: Not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 0.56 (the lowest)Unemployment rate: 6.5% (tied- 11th lowest)
2. Madison, Wis.Population: 236,889Credit rating: Aaa, stableViolent crime per 1,000 people: 3.48 (15th lowest)Unemployment rate: 4.9% (2nd lowest)
1. Plano, TexasPopulation: 271,380Credit rating: Aaa, no outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 1.62 (2nd lowest)Unemployment rate: 6.9% (13th lowest)
Worst run cities:
6. Modesto, Calif.Population: 202,761Credit rating: not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 6.94 (39th highest)Unemployment rate: 14.6% (7th highest)
5. Hialeah, Fla.
Population: 229,967Credit rating: not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 3.78 (18th lowest)Unemployment rate: 14.1% (tied- 9th highest)
4. Detroit, Mich.Population: 706,640Credit rating: Caa1, negative outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 21.37 (the highest)Unemployment rate: 19.9% (2nd highest)
10. Stockton, Calif.Unemployment: 14.1%12-month unemployment change: -1.7 percentage pointsPct. below poverty line: 18.1%
2. Miami, Fla.Population: 408,760Credit rating: A2, negative outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 11.98 (12th highest)Unemployment rate: 12.4% (17th highest)
1. San Bernardino, Calif.Population: 213,008Credit rating: not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 8.76 (27th highest)Unemployment rate: 17.6% (3rd highest)
The city filed for bankruptcy in 2012.
To see all the cities on the list, go to 247wallst.com.
Click above for the latest detailsSanta Barbara Zoo Helps With Oil Spill AnimalsSea Lion Found On Local Beach Oily Birds Treated at San Pedro Center Aerial View of Oil Spill A Closer Look At The Refugio Pipeline Slideshow: Santa Barbara County Oil Spill
An Oxnard couple operated under a hidden agenda for almost six months.
Araceli Martin, 35, and her husband Guillermo Martin, 39, were arrested on the 1800 block of Pericles Place Thursday for concealing the identity of a sex offender.
DAVE ALLEY PHOTO
The Santa Ynez Valley property that once served as the late pop star's home and personal fantasyland is being listed at $100 million, according to the Wall Street Journal.
Santa Barbara Aviation gives NewsChannel 3 the best view of the Refugio oil spill from up in the sky.
Santa Maria is looking to clean up its image one neighborhood at a time and they're looking for a few good men and women to help with the effort.
Thursday afternoon, Special Olympics Santa Barbara hosted the 7th Annual Inspire Greatness Luncheon at the Santa Barbara Courthouse Sunken Gardens.
Source: Atascadero Police Dept.
Atascadero police have arrested an armed suspect who they say robbed a 99 Cent Store at 7101 El Camino Real in Atascadero.
Experts at the Santa Barbara Zoo are assisting in the care of animals affected by the oil spill.
Photo gallery of the Refugio Oil Spill.
CNN, CNC3, Facebook, WPLG, FIFA TV
While the United States proceeds with legal pressure against FIFA, its corporate sponsors have made their positions clear.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.