To evaluate how well a city is managed over the long-term, 24/7 Wall St. looked at factors like the city’s credit rating, poverty, education, crime, unemployment and regional GDP.
6. Seattle, Wash.Population: 620,778Credit rating: Aaa, stable outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 5.93 (45th lowest)Unemployment rate: 7.5% (tied- 23rd lowest)
5. Fremont, Calif. Population: 216,912Credit rating: Not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 1.77 (6th lowest)Unemployment rate: 7.5% (tied- 23rd lowest)
3. Irvine, Calif.Population: 215,511Credit rating: Not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 0.56 (the lowest)Unemployment rate: 6.5% (tied- 11th lowest)
2. Madison, Wis.Population: 236,889Credit rating: Aaa, stableViolent crime per 1,000 people: 3.48 (15th lowest)Unemployment rate: 4.9% (2nd lowest)
1. Plano, TexasPopulation: 271,380Credit rating: Aaa, no outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 1.62 (2nd lowest)Unemployment rate: 6.9% (13th lowest)
Worst run cities:
6. Modesto, Calif.Population: 202,761Credit rating: not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 6.94 (39th highest)Unemployment rate: 14.6% (7th highest)
5. Hialeah, Fla.
Population: 229,967Credit rating: not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 3.78 (18th lowest)Unemployment rate: 14.1% (tied- 9th highest)
4. Detroit, Mich.Population: 706,640Credit rating: Caa1, negative outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 21.37 (the highest)Unemployment rate: 19.9% (2nd highest)
10. Stockton, Calif.Unemployment: 14.1%12-month unemployment change: -1.7 percentage pointsPct. below poverty line: 18.1%
2. Miami, Fla.Population: 408,760Credit rating: A2, negative outlookViolent crime per 1,000 people: 11.98 (12th highest)Unemployment rate: 12.4% (17th highest)
1. San Bernardino, Calif.Population: 213,008Credit rating: not ratedViolent crime per 1,000 people: 8.76 (27th highest)Unemployment rate: 17.6% (3rd highest)
The city filed for bankruptcy in 2012.
To see all the cities on the list, go to 247wallst.com.
The Ventura County Coroner's Office identified the victim in an Ojai Valley homicide Sunday morning as 50-year-old Aleric Owen. The Coroner lists Owen's death as caused by multiple gunshot wounds.
It was ditch day at Santa Barbara High Monday,giving seniors another day of rest following a prom that is likely to gain attention for its progressive prom court.
Source: Santa Barbara Co. Sheriff's Dept.
Santa Maria police arrested 33-year-old Bradley Charles Teixeira for attempted murder of a Santa Maria resident early Saturday morning.
Cottage Hospital presented 5-year-old Lennon Knox a medal of bravery for saving his dog from a rattlesnake last week.
Oscar Flores photo
An abrasive message to Donald Trump supporters has appeared, seemingly overnight, on the side of the Anapamu Street footbridge in Santa Barbara.
Five scholarships and one graduate fellowship will honor the six students killed in the Isla Vista tragedy of May 23, 2014. The academic awards will be announced Monday, on the second anniversary of the tragedy, during a special ceremony at UCSB.
A Santa Maria woman will appear on a special primetime Survivor-themed version of The Price Is Right, which will air on KCOY tonight on May 23rd.
Amanda Valdes photo
A proposed housing project for farmworkers near Santa Maria will be presented to the Santa Barbara County Planning Commission on June 1st.
Henry Galvan photo
A 23-year-old Ojai man is behind bars accused of killing his father, according to authorities.
Warner Bros. Pictures
More than a few stars have found success in Hollywood only to walk away at the peak of their fame. Click on for a look at some of them.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.