Published On: Jul 25 2013 11:34:35 AM CDTUpdated On: Feb 17 2015 10:23:52 AM CST
A train hauling crude oil derailed and exploded in West Virginia, displacing up to 1,000 residents and contaminating the local water supply. One person was injured. Nobody was killed.
10. Al Ayyat (Egypt, 2002) -- A cooking gas cylinder exploded and caused a fire that spread throughout the 11-car passenger train as it traveled from Cairo to Luxor, killing 383 people.
9. Awash (Ethiopia, 1985) -- A train traveling too fast derailed at Awash on the Addis Ababa-Djibouti Railway, plunging four of its five carriages into a ravine and killing at least 420 of the estimated 1,000 on board.
8. Balvano (Italy, 1944) -- Some 426 people illegally riding a steam-hauled freight train died of carbon monoxide poisoning when the train stalled on a steep gradient in the Armi tunnel near Balvano in southern Italy.
7. Torre del Bierzo (Spain, 1944) -- Three trains collided in a tunnel near the village of Torre del Bierzo in Spain's Leon province, killing as many as 500 people.
6. Ufa (Russia, 1989) -- A leaking natural gas pipeline created a highly-flammable cloud that was ignited by sparks from two nearby passenger trains, causing an explosion that killed 575 people.
5. Guadalajara (Mexico, 1915) -- More than 600 are killed when a train packed with an estimated 900 people veered off the tracks between Colima and Guadalajara and plunged into a deep ravine.
4. Bihar (India, 1981) -- As many as 800 people died when a passenger train derailed and plunged into the Bagmati River while crossing a bridge between Mansi and Saharsa in India's Bihar region. More than 200 bodies were recovered, but many more were washed away by the river.
3. Ciurea (Romania, 1917) -- A 26-car train loaded with World War I refugees and wounded Russian soldiers derailed and caught fire when the brakes failed, killing between 600 and 1,000 people.
2. Saint-Michel-de-Maurienne (France, 1917) -- A train carrying at least 1,000 French soldiers on their way back to the Italian front during World War I derailed as it descended into the Maurienne Valley, causing a catastrophic crash that killed approximately 700 people.
1. Peraliya (Sri Lanka, 2004) -- More than 1,700 people died when an overcrowded train was swept up by waves from the tsunami caused by the catastrophic 2004 earthquake in the Indian Ocean.
A new team of investigators is looking into the nearly three-year-old murder case of Peter D'Orazio, a 55-year-old man who went missing from Goleta in September of 2012. His widow, Caron, believes she knows exactly who killed him.
As the Santa Barbara County Health Department continues its investigation into Dr. Allen Thomashefsky’s medical practice, it released the most recent update on the test results from former patients of the embattled doctor.
On Monday, shooting suspect James Holmes goes on trial for 165 counts, including murder and attempted murder charges. He has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity. Here are images from the 2012 shooting inside an Aurora movie theater.
(Warning: Graphic content) A 7.8-magnitude earthquake hit Kathmandu on Saturday. Many houses, buildings and temples in the capital were destroyed, leaving thousands dead or trapped under the debris as emergency rescue workers attempt to clear rubble and find survivors.