The shooting Wednesday at the Fort Hood military installation happened nearly five years after another deadly shooting at the same Texas base. Take a look at the facts in both these deadly shootings.
On Nov. 5, 2009, a gunman opened fire at the Fort Hood military base, killing 13 and wounding 32. The shooting took place at a processing center on the base at where soldiers were preparing for deployment to Iraq or Afghanistan. The gunman was stopped by two civilian officers who shot the gunman, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down.
Authorities later identified the gunman as Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, an Army psychiatrist who was scheduled for his first deployment to Iraq later that year. Hasan, who was 39 at the time, was an American-born Muslim of Palestinian descent, graduated from Virginia Tech, worked at the Darnall Army Medical Center at Fort Hood and was previously stationed at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.
In the days following the shooting, family members described Hasan as a calm man who felt disrespected in the Army due to his religion and did not want to be deployed. Colleagues and friends described him as a very militant man who opposed to the war on terrorism.
Hasan was charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder. On August 23, 2013, he was found guilty of all charges and was sentenced to the death penalty. He now sits on death row at the military prison at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas.
Following the 2009 Fort Hood shooting and the Washington Navy Yard shooting in Sept. 2013, Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ordered a series of security changes at military installations, including more rigorous screening of personnel and the creation of an analysis center to examine internal threats.
Despite added security measures, Spc. Ivan Lopez, 34, walked into an administration building at the base and opened fire.. He then got into a car, fired from the vehicle, got out of the car, walked into another nearby administration building and fired again. Over 15 to 20 minutes, he killed three and wounded 16 -- all of them Army personnel. Lopez then took his own life.
Lt. Gen. Mark Milley addressed the media during a news conference on April 2 saying that Lopez had previously served in Iraq for four months in 2011 and was being seen by doctors for various behavioral issues. He was also being examined for a possible diagnosis of post traumatic stress disorder and he was suffering from depression and anxiety.
Details about the gunman's life are still emerging, but many facts have already surfaced. Lopez is native of Puerto Rico enlisted in the Army in June 2008 as an infantry soldier and was deployed twice, including a four-month stint in Iraq as a truck driver. Lopez had arrived at the Texas base in February, moving with his wife and their daughter into an apartment a little more than a week before the shooting.
"Lopez had a clean record, behaviorally," Army Secretary John said. There were "no major misbehaviors that we're yet aware of." Yet, Lopez carried out the killings with his own gun -- a .45-caliber Smith and Wesson semiautomatic pistol, which he was nt supposed to have on the base. "If you have weapons and you're on base, it's supposed to be registered on base," Milley said. "This weapon was not registered on base."
Few civilians are familiar with the rules regarding on carrying firearms on military installations. Fort Hood's policy states that soldiers are not to be armed while on post, nor are they permitted to carry any privately owned firearms. Only law enforcement and security personnel are allowed to have weapons on post.
In a statement to the White House press pool on April 2, President Obama made the following statement: "Any shooting is troubling. Obviously this reopens the pain of what happened at Fort Hood five years ago. And we are going to do everything we can to make sure that the community at Fort Hood has what it needs to deal with the current situation, but also any potential aftermath. We're heartbroken that something like this might have happened again."