Fatal shooting remains top priority for police
Updated On: Feb 21 2013 11:47:11 PM CST
Santa Barbara Police say they are using all their resources to track down the person responsible for a fatal shooting Tuesday night.
A 21-year-old was gunned down on Olive Street near Carrillo about 7:15 p.m. His name has not been released. Police say the the victim was pronounced dead within an hour of the shooting.
Since then, Sgt. Riley Harwood says the department has poured all of its resources into the case. "it remains our top priority," he said.
A makeshift memorial is now at the location. It was put there about 1 p.m. It's not clear who brought the four candles, some candy, red tulips, and a photo of a young man to the location. On a box of Skittles candy was a message that read, "R.I.P. Baby Bro."
One neighbor Rosebetty Hernandez said she heard the gunshots Tuesday night but would not open her door. She said the area is safe, and neighbors are friendly. The shooting was a surprise to her. Hernandez had no idea who was responsible but presumed it was "gangs."
Witnesses said they heard four shots when the fatal attack occurred. Police have confirmed the victim was hit with multiple gunshots. The caliber of the weapon is not known.
Police are holding back many details they have learned since the shooting as they continue to search for the person who fired the weapon.
School officials and parents have been given some reassurance that local campuses are safe since the shooting. Officers have made visits to show a presence and be available if there are any concerns.
Copyright © 2013 KEYT - NPG of California, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.