Santa Barbara
69° F
Santa Maria
64° F
San Luis Obispo
71° F
70° F

It's not too late to file a tax extension

Published On: Apr 11 2013 07:06:11 PM CDT   Updated On: Apr 11 2013 07:13:22 PM CDT
VENTURA, Calif. -

State and federal income taxes are due Monday, April 15.

If you can't get yours done in time, you could file an extension.

Even tax experts say they file extensions this time of year because they are busy doing their clients' taxes. Self-described tax guru Bart Ketterling of Martin, Ketterling & Associates said all you have to do is go to google and look for Extension Form 4868.  His associate, Jerry Martin, said taxpayers who itemize or own property may need professional advice, but he said "it's not rocket science."

If you choose to file an extension and think you owe money, send in a partial payment. You should base the amount on your last year's taxes. But if you don't owe money and file an extension anyway, you will have to wait to get money back.

The extension gives you six months to get the job done.

If you don't file online, remember to get to the post office before closing time April 15.

Post offices close at different times, so check your local office hours.

In the past, the Postal Service extended it's hours on tax day, but the postmaster has not announced any time changes.


The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms Of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. 
blog comments powered by Disqus