Marijuana-laced chocolate makes teen sick at school
Updated On: Mar 14 2013 10:38:11 PM CDT
A marijuana candy bar sold to a high school student made one girl sick and led to a two arrests.
It happened at Rio Mesa High School in Ventura County on Wednesday.
During a third-period class, a 14-year-old girl appeared pale, unresponsive and incoherent.
Paramedics rushed her to St. John's Hospital in Oxnard where she was treated and released.
A school resource officer and members of the Sheriff's narcotics unit traced the marijuana-laced chocolate bar to a 15-year-old boy and 19-year-old Kelvin Mathew Rodriguez, who already had a warrant out for his arrest.
Deputies arrested the juvenile and Rodriguez. Both are facing drug charges.
Oxnard Union High school officials said they suspended the 15-year old. They also said the initial sale of the "edible" drug was prearranged and took place before school off campus.
Investigators said the marijuana-laced chocolate bar was sold at three-to-five times its value, making money the motive.
Copyright © 2013 KEYT & The Associated Press - NPG of California, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.