Richard Box Accused Of Molesting A Second Child, Years Ago
Updated On: Jan 04 2014 05:16:00 PM CST
Senior Deputy District Attorney Paula Waldman confirmed to NewsChannel 3 the discovery of a third victim, a minor, allegedly sexually molested by Richard Douglas Box.
She also confirmed that Box is now free on $2 million bail.
Friday's court complaint reveals the alleged crimes occurred in Long Beach in 2012 and involved a 13-year-old. Waldman said the victim was not a relative.
"He had been previously arrested for that crime and we found the arrest report. Given the facts of a new case coming forward, we looked at that report with different eyes," Waldman said.
The Santa Barbara County District Attorney's Office will prosecute the alleged Long Beach child molestation along with multiple alleged crimes that occurred in Santa Barbara back in December.
Accusations of a sexual assault were first made December 11, involving Box's wife and his 15-year-old stepdaughter. Santa Barbara police responded to a disturbance call at the family's home on the 200 block of Las Ondas. No arrest was made at the time.
The following Monday, detectives obtained a $2 million arrest warrant for Box, accusing him of rape, false imprisonment, assault with a deadly weapon, peeping with a concealed camera among other counts.
The arrest came just days after Box, a member of several men's choirs, participated in KEYT's Unity Telethon.
Waldman said Box now faces nine felony charges and three misdemeanors, including child molestation and domestic violence against his wife.
During Friday's hearing in Santa Barbara Superior Court, Box waived his right to a preliminary hearing.
The defendant's arraignment is scheduled for Jan. 21.
Copyright © 2013 KEYT - NPG of California, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.