Santa Barbara
54° F
Clear
Clear
Santa Maria
49° F
Clear
Clear
San Luis Obispo
60° F
Clear
Clear
Ventura
54° F
Clear
Clear

Cal Poly dorm fire displaces students

By Chudney Matta, NewsChannel 3 Reporter, chudney.matta@keyt.com
Published On: Nov 05 2013 01:11:45 AM CST
Updated On: Nov 05 2013 12:00:22 PM CST
SAN LUIS OBISPO,Calif. -

Over 100 students were evacuated from their dorm rooms in Cal Poly's Sequoia Hall over the weekend when a overloaded circuit sparked and caught fire.

An electrical circuit that is connected in three rooms in Sequoia Hall shorted out on Sunday, resulting in sparks which caught fire to a mattress in one of the rooms.

Some residents of the building said when firefighters arrived they put out the fire quickly but had to toss the mattress out a third floor window.

Residents who were displaced from their rooms have been moved to another dorm until repairs are made and electricity is restored.

School officials say that the damage id estimated at $1,000.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms Of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. 
blog comments powered by Disqus