Ex-Wife Speaks Out Against Richard Box
Updated On: Feb 12 2014 05:02:03 PM CST
A Florida woman is keeping a close watch on a local sexual assault case. Her name is Sandi Lebron, but she was known as "Sue Ann Box" during her six-year marriage to Richard Box.
The Santa Barbara real estate agent is accused of sexually abusing his third wife and 15-year-old stepdaughter last December. Police say the crimes happened in Box's Las Ondas Drive home on the Mesa.
Lebron contacted NewsChannel 3 after hearing of a second alleged child victim out of Long Beach.
"I thought it was time other people realized what a terribly nasty person my ex-husband was," Lebron said during a telephone interview.
Lebron mailed us a packet of personal documents that include a copy of the couple's marriage license from 1968, copies of birth certificates -- including that of their only child, a son, born in Goleta in 1969 -- and a seven-page, hand written testimonial that Lebron claims, documents Box's confession decades ago to molesting at least three other children.
Lebron said two of them lived in trailer parks off Hollister Avenue in Goleta during the late 1960s and 1970s. She said one of the little girls was Hispanic, the other was Canadian. In her testimonial, Lebron describes how Box confessed to losing his job at a boys reform school in Lansing, Mich. in the 1960s because "he had been caught in a sexual act with one of the boys."
The Florida woman claimed she was terrified of her gun-toting husband, but eventually went to the then-district attorney after Box punched her in the breast. No charges were ever filed because of a lack of evidence.
"I wouldn't be surprised at anything he was arrested for, especially abusing children," said Lebron.
The marriage ended in divorce; Box remarried at least twice after.
Box was in court Tuesday, where he pleaded not guilty to a dozen felony counts involving three victims, including assault, rape and false imprisonment, as well as peeping with a concealed camera and intimidating a witness. The defendant is free on bond.
Senior Deputy District Attorney Paula Waldman says the case appears headed for trial, sometime in May.
Copyright © 2014 KEYT - NPG of California, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.