Goleta House Fire Aftermath
Updated On: May 02 2014 02:00:00 AM CDT
Four families in Goleta are picking up the pieces after a house fire forced residents from their home.
"I never imagined it was going to be this bad. It touched four houses and four different families," said Juan Lago, a fire victim.
The Lago family spent their morning after the fire salvaging what wasn't destroyed.
Santa Barbara County fire confirmed that the fire -that broke-out Wednesday evening- started from buildup in the dryer. The woman that was inside the house was asleep when the fire started, but woke up to the fire alarm. The fire quickly spread to three other homes on Dara Road.
Juan Lago ran over to his neighbors' house with an extinguisher hoping to put out the flames before it got out of control.
"I still feel a little guilty because I didn't make it on time and now everything is gone," said Lago.
Sixty percent of the Lago house is damaged, including the family landscaping business. Unfortunately the family didn't have renters insurance. The Red Cross is putting them up at the Best Western until Saturday.
Copyright © 2014 KEYT - NPG of California, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.