Construction workers accidentally hit a two-inch natural gas line in downtown San Luis Obispo, prompting evacuations.
The line break occurred at 1:11 p.m. Friday on the 600 block of Marsh Street. The first arriving SLO City fire crews determined the high pressure gas line had significant damage. A private contractor was using a backhoe at the intersection of Marsh and Nipomo Streets when they hit the gas line.
Fire officials evacuated everybody in a one block radius and setup hose lines to protect businesses.
The gas company brought in a crew to make repairs and they were able to stop the leak at 4:02 p.m.
No injuries were reported and the evacuations were lifted a short time later.