Santa Barbara
61° F
Heavy Rain
Heavy Rain
Santa Maria
57° F
Heavy Rain
Heavy Rain
San Luis Obispo
55° F
Rain
Rain
Ventura
65° F
Clear
Clear

Unattended Candle blamed for fire at Cal Poly dorm

By Kelsey Gerckens, KEYT - KCOY - KKFX Reporter, kelsey.gerckens@keyt.com
Published On: May 16 2013 09:27:37 AM CDT
Updated On: May 16 2013 05:05:21 PM CDT

More than 400 students were evacuated from the complex while firefighters put out the flames.

SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. -

NewsChannel 3 now knows what started a fire in a dorm room on the Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo campus.

Fire investigators say an unattended candle left in a room in the Poly Canyon Village complex started the blaze.  It happened just before 8 p.m. Wednesday.

More than 400 students were evacuated from the complex while firefighters put out the flames.

The damage was contained to a single bedroom, and is estimated at $25,000.

Gallery

The room's sprinkler system is being credited with keeping the fire in check until firefighters arrived.

Comments

The views expressed are not those of this company or its affiliated companies. Please note by clicking on "Post" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms Of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. 
blog comments powered by Disqus