Published On: Mar 11 2013 03:17:01 PM CDTUpdated On: Feb 28 2014 01:00:00 AM CST
After a particularly cold, snow-filled winter, many Americans are looking forward to spring break this year. Take a look at some of the best spring break destinations based on affordability, accessibility, popularity and nightlife.
10. Sanibel Island. For a calm week at the beach, head to Sanibel Island. In place of a raucous boardwalk, you'll have an avenue lined with cute boutiques and a quiet shoreline littered with shells.
9. Playa del Carmen. This hot spot is often compared to Cancun with its affordable accommodations and popularity with twenty-somethings. However, Playa del Carmen is far more laid-back, and without as much debauchery.
8. Cabo San Lucas. Although the accommodations tend to run on the expensive side here, Cabo San Lucas stands as the party capital of southern Baja. Beautiful beaches like Playa Medano appeal to students in need of some R&R.
7. Jamaica. Jamaica has been a go-to spring break getaway for years. The resort-laden Caribbean island boasts aquatic activities by day and plenty of low-key venues for drinking and debauchery at night. Montego Bay and Negril are particularly popular spots.
6. Puerto Rico. It may not have a stereotypical spring break reputation, but Puerto Rico offers visitors a taste of the Caribbean on U.S. soil. During the day, Puerto Rico's pretty beaches beckon to sun-seekers, swimmers, and windsurfers. And by night, music spills out of bars and clubs across the island.
5. The Bahamas. The Bahamas' gorgeous sands and cerulean waves lure hordes of sun-seekers year after year. There are plenty of activities that cater to outdoor enthusiasts, including hiking in Lucayan National Park.
4. Puerto Vallarta. By day, Puerto Vallarta is tailor-made for outdoorsy types, with its powdery sands and hidden coves. And once the sun sets, abundant happy hour specials cater to those on a tight budget.
3. Cancun. This spot has long held its reputation as a popular spring break destination in North America. The city exudes a more laid-back attitude than many American destinations when comes to late-night partying.
2. South Padre Island, Texas. During the rest of the year, South Padre Island ushers in families to its luxury resort hotels and beautiful beaches. But when springtime rolls around, temporary revelers flock here and all-night parties fill the streets throughout the entire month of March.
1. Miami Beach. Although a Florida vacation can be pricey, this Miami mainstay is surprisingly accessible. Clubs and bars line the colorful streets, encouraging night owls to stay out until the wee hours. And by day, the city's long sandy stretches make a pleasant place to perfect a tan.
Benjamin Franklin dies, Daffy Duck makes his debut, the Bay of Pigs invasion begins, the ill-fated Apollo 13 returns to Earth, and two Los Angeles police officers are convicted in the Rodney King beating, all on this day.