Real estate site Movoto recently compiled a list of the 10 most exciting cities in America.
Movoto’s Top 10 may run counter to popular opinion: Chicago is not even on the list. But Movoto says it based the rankings off off characteristics they believe lead to a happy city life.
Keep you and your friends and family healthy and safe over the Fourth of July weekend with these tips.
There were also two negative indicators: The number of fast food restaurants and Targets/Wal-marts. The fewer of each per square mile, the more unique and enjoyable the city is.
10. Portland, Ore. -- Scoring high on music venues and movie theaters per square mile, Portland's cultural scene catapulted it to the Top 10.
9. Philadelphia -- Philly's strengths are museums and diversity.
8. Atlanta -- Despite unfavorable scores on the number of fast food restaurants per square mile and park acreage per person, Atlanta's young population, bars and music scene secured it as No. 8.
7. Milwaukee -- "Brew city is simply solid on all of our criteria," writes Movoto Real Estate.
6. New York -- What held the Big Apple back? Movoto says it was lots of fast food joints.
5. Washington, D.C. -- Apart from being home to our nations politicians, D.C. contains beautiful national museums and parks (and ranks high in the number of bars per square mile).
4. Seattle -- Movoto says Seattle has inspired the creation of many things, including the "50 Shades of Grey" books. We can only guess that rainy weather has led to a bustling music and bar scene.
3. San Francisco -- Movoto ranked the City by the Bay high for its vibrant arts and music scene.
2. Boston -- Sporting a young population and a high number of bars and movie theatres, Boston sounds like nice place for a Friday night.
1. Oakland, Calif. -- Scoring the highest on the number of movie theatres and museums per square mile, Oakland never ceases to amaze, according to Movoto.
Emergency crews responded to a small plane crash on the southwest end of the Santa Barbara airport Monday afternoon.
The pilot of a private plane said he was "not gonna make it" when he was cleared to return to the Santa Barbara Airport moments after take off during an engine failure.
Source: Julia Di Sieno
Authorities want to know who left six dead animals wrapped in plastic bags on the side of the road.
Vicky Nguyen photo
A Santa Barbara man is asking the city to block the opening of a medial dispensary on the Lower Eastside.
New research published in the International Journal of Obesity weighs the value of Body Mass Index and found that 47 percent of the individuals in the overweight category were miscategorized.
State and federal budget cuts are forcing the agency to eliminate two programs.
A brazen attempted burglary is caught on tape, and Oxnard police are hoping you can help them catch the criminal.
Amanda Valdes photo
Jayke, a Lompoc rapper, has been creating music for years and now he's turning to residents in Santa Maria to spread a message of hope, unity and non-violence.
Oscar Flores photo
Actresses Brie Larson and Saoirse Ronan were honored Monday night with the 31st Santa Barbara International Film Festival Outstanding Performers Award. Larson was unable to attend the event in person but Skyped in.
Win McNamee/Getty Images
Republican Donald Trump and Democrat Bernie Sanders cruised to early victories in the New Hampshire primary on Tuesday.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.