Real estate site Movoto recently compiled a list of the 10 most exciting cities in America.
Movoto’s Top 10 may run counter to popular opinion: Chicago is not even on the list. But Movoto says it based the rankings off off characteristics they believe lead to a happy city life.
Keep you and your friends and family healthy and safe on Independence Day with these tips.
There were also two negative indicators: The number of fast food restaurants and Targets/Wal-marts. The fewer of each per square mile, the more unique and enjoyable the city is.
10. Portland, Ore. -- Scoring high on music venues and movie theaters per square mile, Portland's cultural scene catapulted it to the Top 10.
9. Philadelphia -- Philly's strengths are museums and diversity.
8. Atlanta -- Despite unfavorable scores on the number of fast food restaurants per square mile and park acreage per person, Atlanta's young population, bars and music scene secured it as No. 8.
7. Milwaukee -- "Brew city is simply solid on all of our criteria," writes Movoto Real Estate.
6. New York -- What held the Big Apple back? Movoto says it was lots of fast food joints.
5. Washington, D.C. -- Apart from being home to our nations politicians, D.C. contains beautiful national museums and parks (and ranks high in the number of bars per square mile).
4. Seattle -- Movoto says Seattle has inspired the creation of many things, including the "50 Shades of Grey" books. We can only guess that rainy weather has led to a bustling music and bar scene.
3. San Francisco -- Movoto ranked the City by the Bay high for its vibrant arts and music scene.
2. Boston -- Sporting a young population and a high number of bars and movie theatres, Boston sounds like nice place for a Friday night.
1. Oakland, Calif. -- Scoring the highest on the number of movie theatres and museums per square mile, Oakland never ceases to amaze, according to Movoto.
An officer-involved shooting in Oxnard early Saturday morning killed a 26-year-old woman.
Keith Carls photo
Off-duty Sheriff's Deputy foils carjacking at Pappy's Diner.
Judge grants juror's request to attend to a family emergency out of state.
Drought dry Santa Barbara is leading Southern California on a list of larger cities and districts when it comes to water conservation.
Police identified 12 Paso Robles businesses that refused to sell alcohol to minors in a sting decoy operation Saturday. Out of the 13 tested, one sold alcohol to a minor.
Santa Barbara County Sheriff's deputies arrested two Los Angeles residents in connection with a bank robbery in Carpinteria Tuesday morning.
The Santa Maria Police Department is asking for your help to identify the owner of a jay-walking turtle.
A carjacking on Sunday is sparking the question: Can you protect yourself if this happens to you?
Women make more than men in only nine of the 350 jobs tracked by the U.S. Census Bureau. Here is a list of professions where women do financially better than men.
Screen Gems Television
With Shirley Jones marking her 81st birthday on March 31, what better time to c'mon, get happy and check in with "The Partridge Family" stars today?
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.