Real estate site Movoto recently compiled a list of the 10 most exciting cities in America.
Movoto’s Top 10 may run counter to popular opinion: Chicago is not even on the list. But Movoto says it based the rankings off off characteristics they believe lead to a happy city life.
Keep you and your friends and family healthy and safe over the Fourth of July weekend with these tips.
There were also two negative indicators: The number of fast food restaurants and Targets/Wal-marts. The fewer of each per square mile, the more unique and enjoyable the city is.
10. Portland, Ore. -- Scoring high on music venues and movie theaters per square mile, Portland's cultural scene catapulted it to the Top 10.
9. Philadelphia -- Philly's strengths are museums and diversity.
8. Atlanta -- Despite unfavorable scores on the number of fast food restaurants per square mile and park acreage per person, Atlanta's young population, bars and music scene secured it as No. 8.
7. Milwaukee -- "Brew city is simply solid on all of our criteria," writes Movoto Real Estate.
6. New York -- What held the Big Apple back? Movoto says it was lots of fast food joints.
5. Washington, D.C. -- Apart from being home to our nations politicians, D.C. contains beautiful national museums and parks (and ranks high in the number of bars per square mile).
4. Seattle -- Movoto says Seattle has inspired the creation of many things, including the "50 Shades of Grey" books. We can only guess that rainy weather has led to a bustling music and bar scene.
3. San Francisco -- Movoto ranked the City by the Bay high for its vibrant arts and music scene.
2. Boston -- Sporting a young population and a high number of bars and movie theatres, Boston sounds like nice place for a Friday night.
1. Oakland, Calif. -- Scoring the highest on the number of movie theatres and museums per square mile, Oakland never ceases to amaze, according to Movoto.
Photo: U.S. Coast Guard
Emergency crews responded to Goleta Beach on reports of a very large oil sheen in the area. Click above for the latest updates on this story.Oil Slick May Impact BirdsSlideshow: Goleta Oil Sheen
Keith Carls photo
Santa Maria police are investigating a shooting Tuesday night that killed a man.
A 19-year-old Santa Ynez woman was killed early Wednesday morning when the Lexus vehicle she was driving crashed into a tree.
John Palminteri photo
More Haggen employees are out of a job as the Washington-based grocer lays off more of its staff.
Source: San Luis Obispo Police Dept.
San Luis Obispo police arrested three individuals after receiving a call from the Manteca Police Department that a 15-year-old Manteca girl was being held against her will inside a hotel room in the 1800 block of Monterey Street.
Two Santa Maria teens are recovering from stab wounds after a large fight Tuesday night.
A vehicle fire was reported on U.S. 101 northbound just before 10:30 a.m. Thursday.
A rare hummingbird under the threat of extinction is about to get some help from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
The North American Consumer Protection Investigators released its annual chronicle of the top 10 consumer complaints. Check out which complaints topped the list.
A collection of photos from various sources documenting the Goleta oil sheen discovered Wednesday morning.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.