Real estate site Movoto recently compiled a list of the 10 most exciting cities in America.
Movoto’s Top 10 may run counter to popular opinion: Chicago is not even on the list. But Movoto says it based the rankings off off characteristics they believe lead to a happy city life.
Movoto rated the cities on:
The number of bars, movie theaters, museums, theater companies and music venues per square mile
Park acreage per person
Percentage of the population ages 20 to 34
Racial and ethnic diversity: "The smaller a city’s majority race, the higher the score," Movoto writes.
There were also two negative indicators: The number of fast food restaurants and Targets/Wal-marts. The fewer of each per square mile, the more unique and enjoyable the city is.
10. Portland, Ore. -- Scoring high on music venues and movie theaters per square mile, Portland's cultural scene catapulted it to the Top 10.
9. Philadelphia -- Philly's strengths are museums and diversity.
8. Atlanta -- Despite unfavorable scores on the number of fast food restaurants per square mile and park acreage per person, Atlanta's young population, bars and music scene secured it as No. 8.
7. Milwaukee -- "Brew city is simply solid on all of our criteria," writes Movoto Real Estate.
6. New York -- What held the Big Apple back? Movoto says it was lots of fast food joints.
5. Washington, D.C. -- Apart from being home to our nations politicians, D.C. contains beautiful national museums and parks (and ranks high in the number of bars per square mile).
4. Seattle -- Movoto says Seattle has inspired the creation of many things, including the "50 Shades of Grey" books. We can only guess that rainy weather has led to a bustling music and bar scene.
3. San Francisco -- Movoto ranked the City by the Bay high for its vibrant arts and music scene.
2. Boston -- Sporting a young population and a high number of bars and movie theatres, Boston sounds like nice place for a Friday night.
1. Oakland, Calif. -- Scoring the highest on the number of movie theatres and museums per square mile, Oakland never ceases to amaze, according to Movoto.
The parents of a young Santa Barbara woman killed in a high profile, DUI case are suing Congresswoman Lois Capps, her former aide Raymond Morua, and the U-S government in federal court.
Annual service sponsored by Calvary Chapel Santa Barbara
Goleta Mayor Roger Aceves is running for Santa Barbara County Supervisor.
The Santa Barbara City Fire Department came together Friday to support one of their own who's battling cancer.
Two men are behind bars Friday in connection with a shooting on March 11 that occurred on the 1600 block of North Mary Street.
Jack’s Helping Hand, a San Luis Obispo non-profit group, known for helping children with special needs has added therapeutic horseback riding to their programs.
It was a special Easter Sunday for a central coast man who said he’s come a long way beating what he called a dark addiction.
A longtime Central Coast Tradition returned to Santa Maria on Saturday. The Elks Rodeo is about one month away.
Actress Tori Spelling recently spoke publically about her husband and fellow actor Dean McDermott's affair. But he's not the first celebrity to get in hot water over extramarital activities. Check out this list of high-profile celebrity affairs.
You may have always wanted to put yourself in your favorite celeb's shoes, but how about his or her running shoes? Check out these celebrities who have run marathons.