Real estate site Movoto recently compiled a list of the 10 most exciting cities in America.
Movoto’s Top 10 may run counter to popular opinion: Chicago is not even on the list. But Movoto says it based the rankings off off characteristics they believe lead to a happy city life.
Keep you and your friends and family healthy and safe over the Fourth of July weekend with these tips, as compiled by Prevention.com.
There were also two negative indicators: The number of fast food restaurants and Targets/Wal-marts. The fewer of each per square mile, the more unique and enjoyable the city is.
10. Portland, Ore. -- Scoring high on music venues and movie theaters per square mile, Portland's cultural scene catapulted it to the Top 10.
9. Philadelphia -- Philly's strengths are museums and diversity.
8. Atlanta -- Despite unfavorable scores on the number of fast food restaurants per square mile and park acreage per person, Atlanta's young population, bars and music scene secured it as No. 8.
7. Milwaukee -- "Brew city is simply solid on all of our criteria," writes Movoto Real Estate.
6. New York -- What held the Big Apple back? Movoto says it was lots of fast food joints.
5. Washington, D.C. -- Apart from being home to our nations politicians, D.C. contains beautiful national museums and parks (and ranks high in the number of bars per square mile).
4. Seattle -- Movoto says Seattle has inspired the creation of many things, including the "50 Shades of Grey" books. We can only guess that rainy weather has led to a bustling music and bar scene.
3. San Francisco -- Movoto ranked the City by the Bay high for its vibrant arts and music scene.
2. Boston -- Sporting a young population and a high number of bars and movie theatres, Boston sounds like nice place for a Friday night.
1. Oakland, Calif. -- Scoring the highest on the number of movie theatres and museums per square mile, Oakland never ceases to amaze, according to Movoto.
Two people are dead after two passenger cars crashed head-on near the area of Santa Lucia Canyon Road and Klein Boulevard just north of Lompoc Sunday afternoon.
Source: Grover Beach Police Department
Grover Beach police released more information into a fatal hit-and-run investigation that occurred Saturday night shorty before 10 p.m., including the arrest of the suspect several hours later.
San Luis Obispo County Sheriffs say nearly 6,000 marijuana plants were found growing off of Highway 101.
Bryan Bedder/Getty Images
Gene Wilder, the star of "Willy Wonka" and Mel Brooks comedies, is dead at 83, The Associated Press reported.
A Sheriff's Deputy collided with an ambulance while they had been working together on Saturday night.
The Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office needs the public's help to locate a suspect whom they say followed a child and mother home after touching his genitals in public.
Part off of DC-10 air tanker falls off plane while taxiing on Santa Maria runway
Sean Larsen photo
Follow this thread for continued updates on the Chimney Fire.Slideshow: Chimney Fire Burning in SLO CountyChimney Fire Crews Getting Aerial Help From Santa MariaCalifornia Governor's Office of Emergency Activates State Operations Center to Assist with Chimney Fire
Santa Barbara County fire crews are responding to a brush fire reported near the White Rock campground off Paradise Road in the Santa Barbara backcountry.
For continued updates, click here.
Full Story here.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.