A potentially record-breaking heat wave is melting parts of the Southwest. Check out some of the hottest U.S. temperatures on record by state as recorded by the U.S. National Climatic Data Center.
17. (tie) Washington -- 118 degrees (Aug. 5, 1961)
17. (tie) Nebraska -- 118 degrees (July 24, 1936)
17. (tie) Missouri -- 118 degrees (July 14, 1954)
17. (tie) Iowa -- 118 degrees (July 20, 1934)
17. (tie) Idaho -- 118 degrees (July 28, 1934)
17. (tie) Colorado -- 118 degrees (July 11, 1888)
11. Oregon -- 119 degrees (Aug. 10, 1898)
10. (tie) Texas -- 120 degrees (Aug. 12, 1936)
10. (tie) South Dakota -- 120 degrees (July 15, 2006)
10. (tie) Oklahoma -- 120 degrees (June 27, 1994)
10. (tie) Arkansas -- 120 degrees (Aug. 10, 1936)
6. (tie) North Dakota -- 121 degrees (July 6, 1936)
6. (tie) Kansas -- 121 degrees (July 24, 1936)
4. New Mexico -- 122 degrees (June 27, 1994)
3. Nevada -- 125 degrees (June 29, 1994)
2. Arizona -- 128 degrees (June 29, 1994)
1. California -- 134 degrees (July 10, 1913)
Lompoc Police Chief Patrick Walsh has been on the job for about a month and now has a third officer who's been criminally charged this year while off-duty.
What was said to be a young Great White shark took two bites on an outrigger canoe Sunday three miles off the Santa Barbara coast. The woman on board was sent into the ocean, but was not harmed.
Medical examiners in Las Vegas couldn't determine what killed a 27-year-old California woman whose body was found in September in the Nevada desert.
A woman is behind bars this morning after police say she rear-ended another vehicle while driving drunk.It happened Saturday afternoon when police say 53-year-old San Luis Obispo resident Lisa Davis was driving along Marsh Street.They say her Ford F-150 rear-ended a Subaru Outback stopped at a red light.The victim suffered a minor injury.Officers say Davis was driving under a suspended license from a prior DUI. She also had an active warrant for her arrest for failure to appear on a prior DUI arrest.
Santa Barbara police are investigating a stabbing in the Mesa area of Santa Barbara.
Five students at the Waldorf School have pertussis
High Surf Advisory is in effect for the Central Coast through Thursday.
On the November ballot Measure P is an ordinance prohibiting certain petroleum operations.
National Archives and Records Administration
Douglas MacArthur returns to the Philippines, Nixon sets off the "Saturday Night Massacre," Jackie Kennedy remarries, the Sydney Opera House opens, tragedy strikes Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Muammar Gaddafi is killed, all on this day.
Doug Kerr/Wikimedia Commons
Yo, Pittsburgh. You talk funny. At least, according to Gawker's rankings of America's ugliest accents.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.