A potentially record-breaking heat wave is melting parts of the Southwest. Check out some of the hottest U.S. temperatures on record by state as recorded by the U.S. National Climatic Data Center.
17. (tie) Washington -- 118 degrees (Aug. 5, 1961)
17. (tie) Nebraska -- 118 degrees (July 24, 1936)
17. (tie) Missouri -- 118 degrees (July 14, 1954)
17. (tie) Iowa -- 118 degrees (July 20, 1934)
17. (tie) Idaho -- 118 degrees (July 28, 1934)
17. (tie) Colorado -- 118 degrees (July 11, 1888)
11. Oregon -- 119 degrees (Aug. 10, 1898)
10. (tie) Texas -- 120 degrees (Aug. 12, 1936)
10. (tie) South Dakota -- 120 degrees (July 15, 2006)
10. (tie) Oklahoma -- 120 degrees (June 27, 1994)
10. (tie) Arkansas -- 120 degrees (Aug. 10, 1936)
6. (tie) North Dakota -- 121 degrees (July 6, 1936)
6. (tie) Kansas -- 121 degrees (July 24, 1936)
4. New Mexico -- 122 degrees (June 27, 1994)
3. Nevada -- 125 degrees (June 29, 1994)
2. Arizona -- 128 degrees (June 29, 1994)
1. California -- 134 degrees (July 10, 1913)
Click above for the latest detailsSanta Barbara Zoo Helps With Oil Spill AnimalsSea Lion Found On Local Beach Oily Birds Treated at San Pedro Center Aerial View of Oil Spill A Closer Look At The Refugio Pipeline Slideshow: Santa Barbara County Oil Spill
Source: Atascadero Police Dept.
Atascadero police have arrested an armed suspect who they say robbed a 99 Cent Store at 7101 El Camino Real in Atascadero.
After hours of searching a sea lion attacked with knife in Oxnard has been rescued and is now on the road to recovery.
Source: Santa Barbara Police Dept.
A 24-year-old Santa Barbara man is behind bars after he allegedly stabbed his ex-friend's new romantic partner.
U.C.S.B. students, faculty and the community have been remembering the victims of the Isla Vista tragedy with a series of events over the last week.
Photo Courtesy: Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Dept.
Santa Barbara County Sheriff's deputies who helped locate a missing Solvang woman, attended her 91st birthday on Wednesday.
Keith Carls photo
Events attract thousands of out of town visitors. The annual Santa Maria Elks Rodeo is a time for the community to celebrate its deep western roots and heritage.
John Palminteri photo
Since 1939 Esau's Cafe in Santa Barbara has been serving up hearty breakfast and lunches that won acclaim from many travel magazines and on line postings from loyal customers. Today the grills are cold and the doors are closed.
CNN, CNC3, Facebook, WPLG, FIFA TV
While the United States proceeds with legal pressure against FIFA, its corporate sponsors have made their positions clear.
Photo gallery of the Refugio Oil Spill.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.