A potentially record-breaking heat wave is melting parts of the Southwest. Check out some of the hottest U.S. temperatures on record by state as recorded by the U.S. National Climatic Data Center.
17. (tie) Washington -- 118 degrees (Aug. 5, 1961)
17. (tie) Nebraska -- 118 degrees (July 24, 1936)
17. (tie) Missouri -- 118 degrees (July 14, 1954)
17. (tie) Iowa -- 118 degrees (July 20, 1934)
17. (tie) Idaho -- 118 degrees (July 28, 1934)
17. (tie) Colorado -- 118 degrees (July 11, 1888)
11. Oregon -- 119 degrees (Aug. 10, 1898)
10. (tie) Texas -- 120 degrees (Aug. 12, 1936)
10. (tie) South Dakota -- 120 degrees (July 15, 2006)
10. (tie) Oklahoma -- 120 degrees (June 27, 1994)
10. (tie) Arkansas -- 120 degrees (Aug. 10, 1936)
6. (tie) North Dakota -- 121 degrees (July 6, 1936)
6. (tie) Kansas -- 121 degrees (July 24, 1936)
4. New Mexico -- 122 degrees (June 27, 1994)
3. Nevada -- 125 degrees (June 29, 1994)
2. Arizona -- 128 degrees (June 29, 1994)
1. California -- 134 degrees (July 10, 1913)
Nia Wong photo
The Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office is investigating a homicide at a residence in the 2200 block of Alamo Pintado Avenue in Los Olivos Thursday morning.
City of Santa Barbara photo
Santa Barbara Police Chief Cam Sanchez was involved in a serious car accident last Friday morning.
Santa Barbara County Fire responded to a fully involved barn fire in Los Olivos Thursday morning.
Local man caught a big lobster off Santa Barbara coast, exactly one year after catching another giant crustacean.
John Palminteri photo
Santa Barbara police are on scene of a reported stabbing in the 1500 block of San Andres Street that left at least one person suffering from significant wounds.
A small vegetation fire broke out in Goleta's Cathedral Oaks area just after 3 p.m., Wednesday.
The store manager at the Smart & Final in Santa Barbara is trying to spread the word about a job fair this Thursday.
Investigators determined a 57-year of bicyclist badly hurt in a Monday afternoon accident wasn't wearing a helmet and blew through a stop sign.
Three schools in Los Olivos have been placed on lock down Thursday morning as Sheriff's deputies swarm a home in the 2200 block of Alamo Pintado.
A new study by the proofreading app Grammarly reveals varying grammar skills on Facebook among the supporters of the 19 presidential candidates. But whose supporters came out on top and who ranked at the bottom?
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.