As much of the nation shivers under extreme cold, check out the coldest U.S. temperatures on record, according to the U.S. National Climatic Data Center.
14. (tie) Nevada -50 degrees (Jan. 8, 1937)
14. (tie) New Mexico -50 degrees (Feb. 1, 1951)
14. (tie) Vermont -50 degrees (Dec. 30, 1933)
13. Michigan -51 degrees (Feb. 9, 1934)
12. New York -52 degrees (Feb. 18, 1979)
11. Oregon -54 degrees (Feb. 10, 1933)
10. Wisconsin -55 degrees (Feb. 4, 1996)
9. South Dakota -58 degrees (Feb. 17, 1936)
6. (tie) Idaho -60 degrees (Jan. 18, 1943)
6. (tie) Minnesota -60 degrees (Feb. 2, 1996)
6. (tie) North Dakota -60 degrees (Feb. 15, 1936)
5. Colorado -61 degrees (Feb. 1, 1985)
4. Wyoming -66 degrees (Feb. 9, 1933)
3. Utah -69 degrees (Feb. 1, 1985)
2. Montana -70 degrees (Jan. 20, 1954)
1. Alaska -80 degrees (Jan. 23, 1971)
What was said to be a young Great White shark took two bites on an outrigger canoe Sunday three miles off the Santa Barbara coast. The woman on board was sent into the ocean, but was not harmed.
Five students at the Waldorf School have pertussis
A woman is behind bars this morning after police say she rear-ended another vehicle while driving drunk.It happened Saturday afternoon when police say 53-year-old San Luis Obispo resident Lisa Davis was driving along Marsh Street.They say her Ford F-150 rear-ended a Subaru Outback stopped at a red light.The victim suffered a minor injury.Officers say Davis was driving under a suspended license from a prior DUI. She also had an active warrant for her arrest for failure to appear on a prior DUI arrest.
Medical examiners in Las Vegas couldn't determine what killed a 27-year-old California woman whose body was found in September in the Nevada desert.
The Amgen Tour of California, announced the 2015 host cities on Monday including several central coast cities.
Lompoc Police Chief Patrick Walsh has been on the job for about a month and now has a third officer who's been criminally charged this year while off-duty.
Santa Barbara police are investigating a stabbing in the Mesa area of Santa Barbara.
High Surf Advisory is in effect for the Central Coast through Thursday.
Doug Kerr/Wikimedia Commons
Yo, Pittsburgh. You talk funny. At least, according to Gawker's rankings of America's ugliest accents.
National Archives and Records Administration
Douglas MacArthur returns to the Philippines, Nixon sets off the "Saturday Night Massacre," Jackie Kennedy remarries, the Sydney Opera House opens, tragedy strikes Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Muammar Gaddafi is killed, all on this day.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.