Take a look at the 10 deadliest tornadoes in U.S. history, according to the NOAA.
10. Flint, Mich. (1953) -- An EF5 tornado killed 116 people -- including multiple family members of at least 20 families -- and injured 844.
9. New Richmond, Wis. (1899) -- This EF5 tornado generated a massive amount of flying debris, resulting in 117 deaths and 200 injuries.
8. Purvis, Miss. (1908) -- This EF4 tornado was reported to be two miles wide and hit parts of Louisiana and Mississippi. More than 700 were injured and 143 killed.
7. Joplin, Mo. (2011) -- The twister leveled homes and businesses and killed 161* people. *CNN and other news outlets have listed the death toll at 161; NOAA lists the toll at 158.
6. Woodward, Okla. (1947) -- More than 900 people in Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas were injured by this EF5 twister, which left 181 dead.
5. Gainesville, Ga. (1936) -- This EF4 tornado -- actually a pair of twisters -- hit at the start of the work day, killing 203 people and injuring an estimated 1,600.
4. Tupelo, Miss. (1936) -- This twister leveled hundreds of homes and killed entire families. An estimated 700 were injured and 216 killed.
3. St. Louis (1896) -- Buildings and homes along the Mississippi River were swept away or damaged by this twister, which killed 255 and injured an estimated 1,000 people.
2. Natchez, Miss. (1840) -- An estimated 317 people died and 109 people were injured by this tornado, although the death toll was probably larger because slave deaths were likely not included.
1. Tri-State tornado (1925) -- This EF5 tornado killed 695 and injured more than 2,000 across Illinois, Indiana and Missouri. Records were set for both speed and path length.
Source: Santa Barbara City Fire Department
35-year-old Daniel Corrigan was found dead inside his minivan parked outside Fire Station 8 near the Santa Barbara Airport just before 3 p.m. Wednesday.
Source: Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department
A Software Analyst working for a contractor out of Vandenberg Air Force was arrested for unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor.
Family, friends, staff and students honor and pay tribute to the popular Santa Maria High School girls basketball coach and security coordinator, who died unexpectedly over the weekend.
Paul Mihalec photo
Emergency crews responded to the scene of a solo vehicle rollover accident that injured two people Wednesday night.
The Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Office says they've arrested 50-year-old Kenneth Baker from Santa Maria, after a brief pursuit in Orcutt Wednesday night.
Keith Carls photo
Anthony "AJ" Solis testified he is not a gang member and knew victim Anthony Ibarra was a wanted man for "burning" his drug connections.
Once a 12-seat restaurant in Santa Barbara, Los Arroyos now has four locations in California and Nevada as it celebrates its 16th year. For three days, several menu items have 1999 prices as a "thank you" by the owner to the customers.
Dr. Ron Faoro, 60, died after slipping out of his harness while tandem paragliding with his teenage daughter.
Robert Laberge/Getty Images
Which NCAA men's basketball coaches have won the most championship crowns? Click here to see who made the list.
Chris McGrath/ Getty
Is it Oslo? Maybe London? See which city tops the Economist Intelligence Unit's bi-annual list as the most expensive city in the world.
No email address was supplied by
To complete your registration on this site, please supply an address.
Please confirm or modify the email address to which you will have subscription offers sent.
For a more personalized experience, please supply the following optional information.